Dec 1, 2010

Anja Rubik Hiatus

I love her work, there is no denying she is a great model and a beautiful woman but I have to boycott her. It looks like she has lost even more weight, if you look at the behind the scenes pictures she looks emaciated they are honestly hard for me to look at. Everyone is making a big fuss over Crystal Renn and the return of "curves" but in case you haven't noticed she has lost weight and is getting more work for it. The fashion world keeps taking one little step forward and two giant steps back. Crystal isn't the only girl loosing weight and gaining work, it's a trend for nearly all models especially as their careers progress. Once you aren't a fresh face anymore you have to give yourself an edge, sometimes it's inches from your hair other times inches from your waist. What's sad is Anja (for example) is getting more work showing once again that (insanely) thin is in. What's so sad is no one cares about the health of these girls. Being severely underweight effects fertility, bone density, your organs, your brain (memory loss is just one side effect) and oh right your LIFE EXPECTANCY and clearly the agencies, designers and editors don't give a shit. We give girls like Coco and Kim a pat on the back for coming out about their struggles with the industry but nothing changes. I am going to try to refrain from posting these unhealthy woman because I don't want to perpetuate this or condone it. I have had my own struggles with eating and body image and I have seen the people I love struggle with it, for many people it starts out as just wanting to be thinner but it always turns into something more, it is a manifestation of something much deeper. I will still be posting my favorite spreads and my favorite girls but I will not be posting them if they are emaciated. I know that sounds like the lesser of two evils but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment